St Peter’s-by-the-Strand, served the Anglicans of the Atawhai area of Nelson from 1874 until 1983 when it was moved to Founders Park – a replica historic village containing many of the old historic buildings and artifacts of Nelson.
When the church was built it was described as ‘quite an ornament for the passing traveller to behold with its belfry and three gilded crosses’. The original belfry was demolished as unsafe in 1941, but is now rebuilt, complete with the clock that used to tick off the hours at Nelson College until the 1929 Murchison Earthquake tumbled the clock tower. It also now has a nun's stall that came from the Nelson Convent, new stained glass windows and other artifacts from old Nelson churches.
St Peter’s has a lovely atmosphere and makes a very special setting for weddings. Seating for 70-75 people. Services can be conducted by a civil marriage celebrant or minister.